The Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCo) was created by State law in 1963 to regulate the boundaries of cities and special districts. There is a LAFCo in each of the 58 counties of California. Each LAFCo is an independent public agency.
The objectives of LAFCo are:
- To encourage the orderly formation of local government agencies and promote the efficient provision of public services
- To preserve agricultural land and open-space resources
- To promote orderly growth and discourage urban sprawl
It is the mission of the Mendocino LAFCo to:
- Consider the present and future needs of the community;
- Oversee the logical formation and development of cities and special districts;
- Coordinate the efficient and rational delivery of municipal services;
- Preserve agricultural and open space resources; and
- Discourage urban sprawl.
As a public agency, LAFCo discusses and acts upon its business monthly in open public meetings.
We welcome your interest and participation in the important matters under study and consideration by LAFCo.